There is a chill in the air and fall is coming. But this soup is sure to warm you and your loved ones. It’s so delicious — a favorite with all my cooking class students. Buon appetito!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fennel
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cans of plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup torn basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg and oregano
- 1 pound of day old Italian peasant bread (torn in 1 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat olive oil and sauté fennel, garlic and onion for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped plum tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil.
- Using a wooden spoon, add the bread chunks and then the chicken broth.
- Season with salt and pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg and oregano.
- Stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and simmer about 30 minutes. Add basil and parsley when done.
Optional: Add a thin slice of mozzarella when ready to serve.
For more, contact the Saucy Realtor at email@example.com.