Well this is something out of the ordinary. I always wanted to try this recipe. Had the girls over, and they went crazy for it. You will be a star chef when you prepare this easy dish.
- 5 cups water
- 3 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil and parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a saucepan with the water, three cups of the wine and a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the garlic and red pepper and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of wine and the reserved cooking liquid and simmer. Stir in the pasta and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, 2 minutes. Add the parsley, nuts, the 1/2 cup of cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and toss. Season the pasta with the basil-parsley mixture, salt and pepper and serve, passing grated cheese at the table.
- Serve with Montepulciano Red Wine or Barola.