Pineapples have ventured outside of the produce aisle and onto our clothing – in the most chic way possible.
A yummy motif that emerged in fashion several springs ago, the sweet-tasting fruit has since resurfaced. And it’s blossoming everywhere, from bathing suits and beach towels to jewelry and purses, having won the attention of celebrities including Cara Delevingne, Jessica Alba and Lupita Nyong’o.
Though new to some closets, pineapples have long been acquainted with the art of home design. As the international symbol of hospitality, it’s often spotted in the architecture of gateposts and garden foundations, as well as in the décor of entryways and tabletop settings. It’s also a most tasteful introduction into the theme of our July issue, “Exploring Hospitality.”
We briefly looked at pineapples in this month’s annual floral celebration issue. WAG’s editor-in-chief, Georgette Gouveia, explored a new collaboration between the New York Botanical Garden and Frontgate, a luxury design retailer. The collection features 53 giclée prints of 18th– and 19th-century works from the garden’s archives – including a pleasant pineapple, the only fruit in a collection of floral renderings.
But in the spirit of spring, we revisit the fruit as fashion, turning to Neiman Marcus for the latest in pineapple-adorned gear.
(1) Be the most stylist castaway on the island – aside from Wilson, of course – with the Castaway Canvas Flat Espadrille by Tory Burch, $195.
(2) Add a whimsical touch to your travel bag with the Tropical Dream Pineapple Luggage Charm by Valentino, $545.
(3) You’re not the only one that needs protection from the hot sun. Keep your cell phone safe with the glam Fruit Crystal iPhone 6/6s Case by Dolce & Gabbana, $495 (now $371).
(4) Add some extra sweetness to your look with the Miss Sicily Medium Canvas Pineapple Satchel Bag by Dolce & Gabbana, $2,495 (now $1,871).
(5) Sunbathe on the beach with Onia’s summery suit, the Kelly Pineapple Print One-Piece Swimsuit, $195.
For more, visit neimanmarcus.com.
– Danielle Renda