The Fourth of July weekend might be a little different this year then years past, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate with some delicious recipes. Enjoy these breezy treats from WAG’s new partnership with the Greenwich-based Local Moms Network:
Barbecue pork sandwiches
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce. (We like Sweet Baby Ray’s.)
- 1 pack of Martin’s Potato Buns
Pour the can of beef broth into a slow cooker, adding the boneless pork butt or shoulder. Cook on high heat for 4 hours, or until the meat shreds easily.
Remove the meat, and shred it with two forks. It will seem that it’s not working right away, but it will.
(Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Transfer the shredded pork to a Dutch oven or iron skillet and stir in the barbecue sauce.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. If you want to grill the meat, add it to a baking sheet and put it on the grill for 30 minutes. Serve on the Martin’s Potato Buns.
- 1 package funfetti cake mix
- 1 container frozen whipped topping
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced
Prepare the cake according to package directions and bake it in a 9 by 13-inch pan. Cool completely.
Frost the cake with the whipped topping. Place the blueberries in a square in the corner and arrange the sliced strawberries as stripes to make an American flag. Chill until serving.
Sparkling summer lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 sprigs fresh mint, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup lemon juice plus 1 lemon, sliced into wheels
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries, halved
- 2 liters seltzer or soda water
Pour the sugar and water into a small pot and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the mint sprigs. Let the mint steep for 10 minutes, then discard the mint. Add the mint simple syrup to a large pitcher, punch bowl or serving canister. Add the lemon juice, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and lemon wheels and give a good stir. When ready to serve, fill the pitcher halfway with ice. Top the mixture with seltzer and give a good stir. Serve over ice with sprigs of fresh mint.