The Capitol Theatre is giving its loyal fans an opportunity to leave their permanent mark on the entryway of the historic theater with a custom-engraved commemorative Cap Memory Tile.
Designed in 1926 by architect Thomas Lamb – who did St. Joseph’s Church in Bronxville and the Church of St. Vincent Ferrer on Manhattan’s Upper East Side – The Capitol was originally a vaudeville house and movie palace. It continued showing films until 1970. Subsequently, it hosted about every major rock ’n’ roll act from the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Santana and Pink Floyd to Phish, David Bowie and The Rolling Stones. Since reopening in 2012 as a music venue with Bob Dylan as the first act, the venue, now on the National Register of Historic Places, has hosted members of the Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow, Slash, Steely Dan, Snoop Dogg, Queens of the Stone Age, The Strokes and many more.
The engraved Cap Family Tiles – which are 8 by 8 inches and consist of three lines of text, with 20 characters per line (including spaces) – give patrons the opportunity to become a permanent part of the theater’s legend. Each custom engraved tile includes a name, a favorite show and the date it took place and an icon to dress up the tile.