Creamy lentils has always been a part of Indian cuisine. There are a variety of lentils cooked in various methods. Here’s my take on a lentil dish that I cook on a busy day. It’s quick and super delicious. This can be had as a soup on a crisp fall day as well.
Raj’s Lentil Curry
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, sliced thin
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup red onions, chopped
1/2 cup yellow split pigeon peas lentils or yellow moong beans
1. Pressure-cook the lentils with 3 cups of water until soft. Set aside.
2. Heat a deep pan and add coconut oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Add in cumin seeds and jalapeños and sauté for 10 seconds.
4. Add in the chopped red onions. Sauté until light brown.
5. Add in salt, turmeric, red chili powder and stir for 5 seconds.
6. Add in chopped tomatoes and stir well. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft and well combined with the onions.
7. Now add the cooked lentils to the onion tomato mixture and add water if needed. Mix well. Cover and cook until it boils.
8. Add in chopped fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice or flat bread.
For more, visit creativerajni.com.