In South India, cabbage is popular and widely used in thoran, a finely cut vegetable stir-fry dish, lightly seasoned with mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chilies and coconut. Vegetables like cabbage, beans and beets are cut into small pieces, then sautéd with other spices along with grated coconut. Thoran is usually served on feasts like weddings or other celebrations in Kerala. Here’s my version of cabbage thoran with purple cabbage and pan-seared salmon.
Pan-seared Salmon with Purple Cabbage Thoran Rice
For the salmon
- 2 salmon steaks
- ¼ cup tamarind juice or lime juice
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoonturmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add salmon steaks and coat well with the marinade, letting this sit overnight in the refrigerator or at least two hours.
- In a pan add coconut oil and once hot add the salmon steaks and fry 3 to 5 minutes on one side, flip them, cover and cook on low heat for another 2 to 3 minutes. Once cooked, set aside on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Purple Cabbage Thoran Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice, cooked
- 2 cups purple cabbage
- ½ cup white onions, chopped fine
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- In a pan heat coconut oil and add cumin seeds and then onions. Sauté for 2 minutes.Now add in minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add in the purple cabbage, salt and pepper. On low heat, cover and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add in the cooked rice, cilantro leaves and mix well. The rice is ready to be served with pan- seared salmon.
For more, visit creativerajni.com.