The start of the year is a time for renewal. And what better way to signal it than with eggs, symbols of new life and rebirth in cultures throughout the world. My egg recipe is one of the staples of Kerala, India, usually served for breakfast. It’s a dish made with roasted, spiced onions — simple but very flavorful.
May you enjoy it and the new year in health and happiness.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeño chili peppers, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 hardboiled eggs, each sliced in half
- Heat a deep pan and add coconut oil to it. Add the mustard seeds and let the mixture splutter.
- Add jalapeños and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Add the chopped red onions. Sauté until light brown. Halfway though add in the garlic and sauté until brown.
- Add salt, turmeric and black pepper, cumin and fennel powders and stir for 5 seconds.
- Add the ketchup and mix well.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro leaves and mix well. Add the hard-boiled eggs.
- Serve hot with basmati rice or any flat breads as a wrap.
For more, visit creativerajni.com.