Vegetable curry is one of the most popular dishes in South India. My grandma would put a ton of veggies into a pot along with aromatic spices and serve it with her handmade flatbread or steamed rice. There are different versions, but the best one is with the addition of coconut milk. I have made a thicker version of the curry, so it’s perfect with mashed potatoes for the holiday table. It’s 100% vegan as well.
Happy holidays to all.
Mixed Vegetable With Coconut Milk
1/2 cup potato, cut into medium sized cubes
1/4 cup carrot, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons beetroot, cut into small cubes
1/4 cup green peas
1/2 cup white onions, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/4 cup Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons coriander powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon grated beets for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a sauté pan and add black mustard seeds. Let it pop.
- Add chopped onions and salt and stir-fry until onions are golden brown.
- Add black pepper, turmeric and coriander and stir well.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes and cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add all vegetables and coconut milk and mix well to combine. Cover and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until veggies are tender and coconut milk is slightly thick.
- Add fresh cilantro leaves and mix. Garnish with grated beets.
For more, visit creativerajni.com.